[BlindRUG] Updating R from the terminal

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Dec 15 05:11:35 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Back in early July I met Tal Galili who does a few really nice things for the R community. He looks after the R-bloggers email feed I get each day and also the installr package which I want to talk about now.

The release of R version 3.2.3 today means I got to test some changes made by Tal that had to wait for the next release of R. I had expressed some concerns that the updateR() function didn't perform so well from the terminal but was better for screen reader users if run from the GUI version.

I have just used the R terminal (JAWS 17 running) and issued the command:
installr::updateR()
Which walked me through a few dialogue boxes where I made various decisions about the update process. In particular, I knew the change from version 3.2.2 to 3.2.3 didn't need me to migrate the library of packages as this is only a minor version change.

When I get to my work machine tomorrow, I will test the more automated command which hopes to bypass the dialogue boxes.

Cheers,
Jonathan