[BlindRUG] add-on packages

Tim in 't Veld tim at dvlop.nl
Sun Feb 15 07:12:10 UTC 2015

Hi Jonathan,
My professor pointed me to R Commander and R studio (a standalone
integrated development environment-style application to develop R
scripts). Neither of them are accessible, no speech output at all.
I think both user interfaces derive from Java. Your idea of writing a
version of the tcl/tk package which renders native, OS-specific user
interfaces is interesting, this should be a manageable programming
exercise and would make many packages accessible.

This being said, just making an integrated development environment
accessible doesn't necessarily make it useful for a blind user. I think
coding R is not that difficult (I'm quite code oriented though so some
people might disagree). An IDE makes the task easier for the sighted, I
don't know what functionality tools like rcmdr and r studio offer but
much of the advantage probably lies in getting an overview of possible
commands / variables on the screen. Unless the UI is well thought out or
scripted for in the screen reader (quite a large task), a text editor
and a good R command reference are probably more usable in practice.
Tim