[BlindRUG] Measures of modality: understanding distribution shapes

Gjalt-Jorn Peters gjalt-jorn at behaviorchange.eu
Thu Jul 30 06:29:16 UTC 2015

Dear BlindRUG readers,

I'm working on revising our first statistics course (in a psychology
curriculum). We're updating it such that R can be used, to make it
accessible to blind students.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to let blind students assess
distribution 'shapes'. They can compute skewness and kurtosis, but it's
also necessary to assess modality (how many 'mountains' there are). Is
any of you familiar with any measures for this?

How do you normally assess the 'shape' of a distribution?

Thank you very much in advance, kind regards,

Gjalt-Jorn Peters
Dutch Open University