[BlindRUG] Measures of modality: understanding distribution shapes

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Thu Jul 30 07:57:03 UTC 2015

Hi,

This is a great question.

Personally, I would be hoping the sample size is sufficient to allow me to increase the number of bins in a histogram to convince myself that the presence of bimodality is real. I can get the information from the VI() command on the histogram creation command. For example:
VI(hist(x))

I'm still trying to find a way of conveying a density curve to a blind audience. It's very easy to follow a tactile representation of a density, but conversion to text is proving challenging. I suspect this is one situation where sonification of the curve might also prove to be an answer.

Cheers,
Jonathan