[BlindRUG] Questions Regarding Making Tactile Forms

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jun 9 22:21:40 UTC 2015

Hello,

I use a Tiger embosser for anything I want in a tactile form. I do not like swell paper at all for so many reasons, but the first is that it lacks the definition or sharpness that I need. I don't like the inconsistency that arises from lines or regions that are the same colour and size in print, and I'm not all that happy with the actual texture of the swell paper itself for the things I want in tactile form. The swollen parts are smooth while the original paper is ever so slightly rough which means my attention is caught more by the gaps than the lines. Some of that is obviously personal preference, but I don't think anyone would argue about the low quality of any braille generated on swell paper.

A Tiger EmBraille embosser www.viewplus.com costs around USD2000. I can emboss straight from R onto this embosser, but the outcome is not good enough for a permanent copy. For a copy to share with others, I would prefer to use an embosser that uses higher grade paper, larger paper, and has better definition in terms of dots per inch. I also have  access to a Premiere 100 from ViewPlus that meets these needs.

In terms of creating maps, the work in Ch16 of LURN currently includes some fairly basic experiments. I have started some work using other packages that may prove useful for you. I hope to have these finalised before the coming weekend. One of the packages I have had a brief look at sounds like it will be able to extract street maps from Google, but I haven't tried that yet.

The map databases in the maps package include state and county boundaries for the USA.  I suspect these are not sufficient for your interests. The other packages I need to investigate further include the ggmap package that links to Google. My first foray uses it to find the coordinates for cities I will visit in the coming weeks.

I hope this helps for the moment. There is more coming on this topic and I will try to send an update soon.

Cheers,
Jonathan