[BlindRUG] Questions Concerning Making Tactile Forms

Jooyoung Seo sjysky at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 18:57:02 UTC 2015

  Dear Dr. Godfrey,

  Hello, I am JooYoung Seo, studying Learning, Design, and Technology

at Penn State.

  I am writing to inquire you about creating tactile graphic forms using R.

----------

  1. What Is Your strategy for accessing graphic R outputs as in tactile?

  In my lab, I am using Swell Form Heating Machine to enhance the

lines. After print out the png file, I xerox the regular paper into

swell paper and heat and raise the black line using the device.

  Two problems of this technique are that it is hard to translate the

printed text label and values into braille; and when copying the

regular flat printout into swell form paper, I see some additional

ghost dots or lines that also will be raised along with and bothering

me to feel the correct form.

  If you have been using any device or there's any tips to share

regarding creating tactile graphic output, please advise me.

  2. How to Create Maps for Pennsylvania?

  I've already studied the Chapter 16 LURN. To create maps; however, I

have no idea how to create the map of University Park city,

Pennsylvania, USA where I'm currently living.

  I am involved in a project making tactile campus maps for my

college, so I am considering using R for this work. Do you think it's

possible? Please teach me how I can get the maps of my city.

  It'd be so much appreciated if you guide me.

  Thank you.

  Sincerely,

       JooYoung