[BlindRUG] Some Questions

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Fri Jun 12 03:06:57 UTC 2015

Hello,

To answer the questions:
1. To get R to load the BrailleR package automatically can be done by changing one of the files R looks at for instructions each time it starts. An explanation can be found by typing ?Startup (note the capital S) but that is quite complicated. In brief, your easiest way forward is to create a file called ".Rprofile" in your working directory which contains the line library(BrailleR). The problem is that under Windows, creating a file starting with a period causes problems. I will add a function to do this in the next iteration of BrailleR as I think it is relatively easy to achieve.

2a. Putting extra text on top of each bar in a histogram can be achieved using the argument labels=?, but as yet I haven't investigated how this behaves. My first attempt (when eyes are next in my office) will be to say labels=TRUE. See the help page for the graphics::hist command (the original histogram function not he BrailleR version)

2b. The use of mids was to save space. If the histogram bins are not the same width, the range is given instead of the mid-point. I'm open to changing this for all situations, but mids take up less space (and time)

3.I'm still trying to work out how to determine a method for describing the departure from a straight 45 degree line that isn't just the workings for any of the normality test statistics. There are so many reasons why a set of points might not lie on the 45 degree line that this is not a simple problem. Use the hypothesis tests and the other graphics to guide you.

Good questions; keep them coming.
Jonathan