[BlindRUG] newbie question about seeing relationships between variables

Mike Gorse mike at straddlethebox.org
Sat Mar 7 22:59:31 UTC 2015

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for the list and for the work to make R easier to
use! It's good that some people write statistics software and work to make
it more accessible, so that other people can maybe learn to do things like
analyze realtime bus data, so that other people can get around the city
more easily...

I'm very new to R and to statistics in general, so maybe there's an easy
answer to this that I don't know about. I'm starting a Coursera course on
statistics and data analysis, and the course had a lab that involved
investigating some survey data. In a few places, it advised generating a
plot in order to see the relationship between two variables, but I'm
blind, meaning that I can't see, meaning that I can't see the nice plots
that R generates for me. Eventually I figured out that I could more or
less do what I needed to do by subseting the data set based on the
explanatory variable, taking summaries of the response variable for the
different subsets, and comparing the results, but I'm curious whether this
is the best way to do it / what other people would do in order to get an
idea of the relationship between two variables in a data set.

Also, when I run
library("BrailleR")
I get a message saying that hist and boxplot are masked from
package:graphics, so it looks as though BrailleR has its own
implementation/wrapper for boxplot, but, when I call boxplot(), it seems
to behave the same as it would if BrailleR weren't loaded (ie, put a
boxplot on the screen). Is there something else that it should be doing? I
don't see any new files being generated in my working directory (I'm not
sure if I should expect them or not).

Thanks,
-Mike