[BlindRUG] newbie question about seeing relationships between variables

Erhardt, Robert erhardrj at wfu.edu
Sun Mar 8 00:28:20 UTC 2015

Mike,
There was a blind student in my class and she used the BrailleR pakage.
You wrap hist() in the function VI(), as in

x=runif(50,0,10)
VI(hist(x))
VI(boplot(x))

If you try something else, like
VI(summary(x))
it simply "prints" the object.  As for visualizing summaries, in my class
we printed a few scatterplots using a Braille embosser, but the student
found this tedious and it wasn't something she could do herself.  So, she
preferred to 1.) compute the correlation between x and y, 2.) fit a few
linear models (including adding terms like x^2, x^3, etc.), and 3.) and
explore subsets of x and y as you described, to get a sense of the
relationship.  Combing all information she was able to get a good sense of
the relationship.  Beyond that, she'd simply ask others to describe the
scatterplot that R visually displays.

Hope this helps!
Rob Erhardt

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Mike Gorse via BlindRUG <blindrug at nfbnet.org