[BlindRUG] newbie question about seeing relationships between variables

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sun Mar 8 02:29:45 UTC 2015

Hello Mike et al.,

The reason these two functions are masked is that the BrailleR functions were written so that the objects created are given a class and the information about the axis labels etc. are retained; this doesn't happen with the standard functionality. The masking functions do use the standard function to do the plotting though so the outcome is the same as anyone else would get.

The benefit of this approach is that you can wrap the call to the boxplot() or hist() commands with a call to VI() and get a text description of the graph's content.

I've started out with these two plot types because they are among the first ones a student would need. It will be difficult to do this for the scatter plotting functions so there is a WhereXY() function you might want to look into.

I think your idea about subsetting the possible predictor and using a summary of the response variable is sound. You might create this using the existing boxplot(y~x) construct once you make x using cut().

Cheers,
Jonathan