[BlindRUG] How can I make this result more navigable?

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Mon Sep 7 07:30:54 UTC 2015

Have you looked at the table format of emacs-orgmode yet?  That format may
be a little easier to digest than csv or html.  If org-mode is used for
table output, org-mode has export facilities that can export to html and
other formats.

Hello,

The VI() and summary() commands are created similarly but do different jobs. I'll explain how the functions work before explaining what they do.

Both VI() and summary() are special types of functions called methods. A method is actually a family of functions that work on different objects appropriately. Other methods include print() and plot(). In each case, the first argument passed to the method has a class. The airquality dataset is of class data.frame while the regression model is of class lm. When you ask for the summary(airquality) R knows that airquality is a data.frame and uses the summary.data.frame() command to summarise the data. When you ask for the summary of a regression model, summary.lm() is used. I wrote the VI.data.frame() and VI.lm() commands to do various jobs.

The VI.data.frame() command gives pretty much the same output as the summary.data.frame() command but presents it horizontally instead of vertically so that it is easier to hear with a screen reader. The VI.lm() command does a wide range of things that will save some users plenty of effort but as yet does not manage to get everything tabulated in HTML. I do think this will be resolved at some stage. Yes it does create some files that won't be wanted by everyone, but I'd rather create them and save work for some users even at the expense of creating junk files for others. I might try to incorporate a user preference somehow to deal with this.

To get the outcome from any R commands into tabulated form requires use of HTML or another alternative. I know I could use csv files or word documents but the results for the summary of a regression model would not be easier to navigate in either case because the summary has a number of elements that are very tabular and a number that are very definitely not tabular. At present, all the commands I've seen for converting a summary to an easier format do not actually convert everything that is presented by summary.lm().

Finally, I'd add that any suggestions for improving the VI() commands and what gets generated are welcome. In general, I use what I want in any given circumstance to start the development of these functions and they therefore do what I think is desirable. Adding more functionality is my preference rather than take anything away.

Cheers,
Jonathan