[BlindRUG] Computational Finance with R

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Fri Apr 22 12:19:50 UTC 2016

Hello Niels,

Octave is very easy to use as a blind person; so is Maxima and then  there are lots of programmes that can be used via a command line interface or batch process. If you google "batch blind octave r" then you'll find a thread on other lists that discussed this way of working.

You need to make use of the links you were posted when you joined this list. Your questions about how to get more from R by switching to the terminal mode of operation are answered in those documents. This might prove useful, but I think the GUI is pretty useful as an NVDA user anyway. If you typed 1+1 at the command prompt then the answer would be printed out. Use the review mode of NVDA to get at the answer. This is easier to manage as an NVDA user than it is for a JAWS user as it happens.

Finally, I think you might seriously consider travelling to the Summer University event held from July 8-12 in Linz Austria. This event has been held from 2010-2014 and has proven extremely useful for the people that have made the effort to go. I appreciate the network that my three attendances at this event have given me.

Cheers,
Jonathan