[BlindRUG] Is there any substitution for word count add in?

Henrik Bengtsson henrik.bengtsson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 15:16:08 UTC 2016

Actually, here's a workaround.  These two functions uses the internals
of wordcountaddin and returns summaries as Markdown tables (that's the
best I could do; it seems hard to grab the underlying data frame).

text_stats_md <- function(text) {
  text <- paste(text, collapse="\n")
  wordcountaddin:::text_stats_fn(text)
}

readability_md <- function(text) {
  text <- paste(text, collapse="\n")
  wordcountaddin:::readability_fn(text)
}

Here's an example using the text_stats_md function:

> text <- readLines("https://cran.r-project.org/src/base/README")
> text_stats_md(text)

|Method          |koRpus      |stringi       |
|Word count      |668         |649           |
|Character count |4131        |4130          |
|Sentence count  |46          |Not available |
|Reading time    |3.3 minutes |3.2 minutes   |

I hope this helps (but I think you should still post a feature request)

/Henrik