[BlindRUG] Is there any substitution for word count add in?

Henrik Bengtsson henrik.bengtsson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 15:05:20 UTC 2016

Just had a quick check at the code of the wordcountaddin package to
see if there're some internal functions that could be used to collect
the stats from a plain string.  Unfortunately, the code is hardwired
to assume you're using it in RStudio.

However, it doesn't look too hard to tweak such that the package could
also provide a plain R API returning data frames of summaries given a
plain string as input.  Looking at the internal code, that is
basically what the package does with its functions.  For example, it
could provide an API something like:

> text_stats_df(text)
> readability_df(text)

I suggest that you post a feature request at
https://github.com/benmarwick/wordcountaddin/issues explaining your
needs.  Hopefully, he'll add it.  I can see it could be very useful
for lots of people.

Cheers,

Henrik