[BlindRUG] Switching from Doing with Eyesight to Doing Without

Gjalt-Jorn Peters gjalt-jorn at behaviorchange.eu
Mon Apr 3 09:00:00 UTC 2017

Dear Nicholas (and Jonathan),

You can use a separate (first) chunk to load the packages, and for that
chunk, set options to suppress messages (and even warnings and errors -
use with caution, of course). For example:

```{r setup, echo=FALSE, message=FALSE}
require('BrailleR', quietly=TRUE);
require('sonify', quietly=TRUE);
```

This should suppress everything, I think. You could even build in some
graceful error handling quite easily using two chunks, e.g.:

```{r setup, echo=FALSE, message=FALSE, warning=FALSE, error=FALSE}
errorMessages <- NULL;
if (!require('BrailleR', quietly=TRUE)) {
   errorMessages <- c(errorMessages, "BrailleR did not load successfully!");
}
if (!require('sonify', quietly=TRUE)) {
   errorMessages <- c(errorMessages, "Sonify did not load successfully!");
}
```

```{r package-errors}
if (!is.null(errorMessages)) {
   stop(paste0('I encountered the following errors when loading
packages:\n\n', paste0(errorMessages, collapse='\n')));
}
```

(didn't test, but should get you quite some ways towards a solution even
if a bit buggy :-))

Kind regards,

Gjalt-Jorn

*Gjalt-Jorn Peters* | http://behaviorchange.eu

Behavior change research | Health psychology
Intervention development | Applied social psychology 	[ 	GG
<http://greatergood.eu> 	OU <http://ou.nl> 	UM
<http://maastrichtuniversity.nl> 	}