[BlindRUG] interactive graph exploration on the web

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Mon Feb 13 22:26:13 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'd like some feedback on the alpha level results we have created for interactive exploration of statistical graphs on the web. Our first examples are histograms (of course), but other work is ongoing. The graphs are created in R, saved as scalable vector graphics (SVG) and then an additional layer of XML is created to sit alongside the SVG. All of the interactive exploration is handled by the web page hosting the SVG and XML files along with some javascript magic that does the hard work. I am responsible for the R side of things while Volker Sorge (MathJax and U of Birmingham) is the wizard waving the javascript wand. I have been very fortunate to have worked with him in particular on this project. Volker and I were hosted by Donal Fitzpatrick at Dublin City University in December where we got things started. We believe that as a consequence of being able to create accessible histograms, we ought to be able to create accessible graphs for almost any graphs created in R; we are totally confident that this is already possible for graphs drawn using a grid-based system, but additional code will need to be written.

Go to:
https://zorkow.github.io/BrailleR/www/index.html

Warning: The graphs are in SVG format. Some browsers do not display SVG properly, notably internet explorer. This will have an impact on anyone using vision and gauging our work on that basis.

Feedback is welcome. You may wish to send this to me directly at a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz<mailto:a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz>

Thanks everyone,
Jonathan