[BlindRUG] Introducing tactileR package

JooYoung Seo jooyoung at psu.edu
Sat Jun 10 06:33:34 UTC 2017

  Hello all,

  I am writing this to introduce my tactileR package for those who want to
print their R graphics in tactile form using either swell form machine or
braille embosser.

  Even though BrailleR has similar function called BRLThis(), it does not
seem like it is working properly.

  So I developed my own function by employing showtext package.

  Using this package, you can very easily convert any R graphics into
ready-to-print pdf file with braille font embedded.

  Since it does not support braille translation yet, special characters,
math symbols, and non-roman alphabet characters are not displayed in
braille.

  I think I could address this issue and improve this capability by
implementing Liblouis translator for my future release.

  FYI, any generated pdf file through this function should be read as "empty
document" by a screen reader. However, no worries. It  should show braille
font on screen. You can double-check with sighted assistance though. You can
just print it out following the instruction provided on my github site to
make tactiles.

  Please consult my github site to read some details and examples about this
function.

  https://github.com/sjystu/tactileR

  Any comments and constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

  Sincerely,

  JooYoung

       JooYoung Seo

  Doctoral Student,