[BlindRUG] New R User Having Trouble

Kennedy Stomberg stomberg8 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 19:41:08 UTC 2020

Hello, Amy,

First, you might want to consider updating to a later version of R. Version 4 is already out. I use this with JAWS 2020.

As for exiting R, I wouldn't use the q()  function for the reason you just said. Rather, I would use Alt+F4 as you would with other applications. You should be asked to save your workspace image, and you can use Tab to get to the Yes and No options. Be aware that when you open R again, the workspace image might not save. It usually does, but I've run into problems where it doesn't. An alternative would be to copy everything in the console (including your code and output) into a script within R. Then, the next time you open R, you can open your script, select the appropriate lines of code and run them, thus restoring what you had in the console before. (I hope this makes sense!)

As for the file you mentioned in the folder, I've never seen that either, so I'm afraid I can't really speak to that.

R can be a bit of a steep learning curve at first, particularly if you haven't had any previous coding experience (SAS, Python, etc.) That said, I'm happy to help you get started if you need. Feel free to email me off-list at: stomberg8 at gmail.com
We can set up a phone call or Zoom meeting if needed. :-)

Good luck in your R journey!
Kennedy

Kennedy Stomberg, M.S.