[BlindRUG] RStudio accessibility improvements

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Wed Mar 4 22:00:01 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

I'm thrilled that RStudio has started to look into the accessibility of both the server and desktop edition.

I've done a preliminary check on the server edition and passed comments to the RStudio team. I remain far from convinced that the server edition is going to end up being a viable prospect for blind users, especially those new to the RStudio environment.

On the other hand, I am extremely optimistic that progress on the desktop version's accessibility can and will be made.

The first major hurdle is behind us. We now have RStudio taking action. This is a watershed moment in my opinion. It brings more than five years of lobbying RStudio and perhaps annoying too many of their staff at conferences to a close. I have pledged my commitment to them to help get RStudio working for us.

I'm also thrilled they have decided to get a blind user on board as part of their team.

Jonathan