[BlindRUG] Greetings from RStudio

Gary Ritchie gary at rstudio.com
Wed Mar 11 21:48:09 UTC 2020

Hi all.

I'm a software developer working for RStudio. I've been a professional
developer for a long time (over 30 years, yikes), and have been with
RStudio for about 3.5 years.

I've worked on a variety of features in RStudio, but for the past 10 months
I've been focused on accessibility improvements, including screen reader
support. It is an area I have always been interested in, and I told the
company I wanted to tackle, and they have let me do that. I've learned a
lot, and made a lot of improvements to the RStudio IDE, but honestly I'm
just getting started. There's still a long way to go to make RStudio a
truly usable and beneficial tool for blind R users.

The good news is this is now my full-time role at RStudio, so I look
forward to continuing to learn and improve our products, and to educate
others at RStudio on being more aware of accessibility issues.

I am not blind, so getting feedback from real users like you will be
critical for me to accomplish my goals!

Thanks,

Gary Ritchie
gary at rstudio.com