[BlindRUG] Accessible conference environments

Liz Hare doggene at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 23 16:27:16 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I'm working on accessibility with the organizers of UseR! 2021.

We're trying to find an accessible, hopefully open-source, communication platform for the event. It would be a place to talk both within conference  presentations and outside them more generally. Features it needs:

- Screen reader accessibility
- usability for low vision and people with other issues (visual processing difficulties, epilepsy, etc)
- open source
- the ability to follow multiple threads (some of the simpler options like Google Chat don't let you have complex sets of communication areas.

We are looking at Mattermost, which I think will be pretty challenging, accessibility wise. But we would like others to look at that you might have had success with in organizing or attending conferences.

Thanks,
Liz

Liz Hare, PhD
Dog Genetics LLC