[BlindRUG] Accessible conference environments

Tim in 't Veld tim at dvlop.nl
Fri Oct 23 16:58:44 UTC 2020

Dear Liz,

I think the consensus is that Zoom is the most accessible option. There
are good reasons for wishing to stay away from the proprietary Facebook
censorship and privacy violation potentate from Trumpland but I don't
think any alternative comes close to Zoom’s accessibility. If I am wrong
I hope someone chimes in.

Teams and Skype work but have a lot of disadvantages. Whereby works
quite well on iPhone but on the web version there is no way to know if
the microphone is muted. I think a blind user will also manage to
participate in meetings using the open source Jitsi meet software but
have only limited experience with this platform. Again none of those
options are as accessible as zoom.

Hope this helps,

Tim

The best option to go with for accessibility is Zoom. I know it is not
open source and there are good reasons to aviod the sonsosship potentate