[BlindRUG] RStudio for blind statistics students

Hannah.King hannah.king at open.ac.uk
Mon May 9 16:04:22 UTC 2022

Good afternoon,

My name is Aitch, I work at The Open University as an Accessibility and Usability Tester (predominantly accessibility). I'm currently doing some accessibility testing work on RStudio for a statistics module creation team who are considering it for the course.

If you don't mind, I've been investigating RStudio - and testing it using NVDA and keyboard short cuts to access - and I've come across an issue that is proving hard to figure out and I wondered if I could ask some questions.

I can't get the screen reader to read the output of commands in the console. It will read the commands as I type them, but the output itself remains stubbornly illegible. Is there a way to make it read them that I simply haven't figured out yet?

If not, I wonder if there are any workarounds that you know of, or if you could maybe let me know how blind users do their statistics work? That last may be a more complicated question than I intend!

Thanks very much in advance,

[Proud (LGBTQ+) Staff Network Committee logo.]

[Trans Staff Network logo.]    [OU Accessibility Team Logo. Text reads: Accessibility and Usability Evaluation.]    [OU Accessibility Champion Logo. Text reads: I'm An Accessibility Champion.]

If contacting by video/voice, please send a quick message to warn me so I am prepared for the call.
[cid:image005.png at 01D863C6.C32D9B10]
Hannah King | Usability and Accessibility Tester (They/Them)
Online Student Experience | Learning Experience and Technology (LXT), CIO Portfolio
The Open University, Level 7 Perry, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA
Tel: ---- | hannah.king at open.ac.uk<mailto:hannah.king at open.ac.uk> | www.open.ac.uk<http://www.open.ac.uk/>
[cid:image006.png at 01D863C6.C32D9B10]
[facebook.png]<https://www.facebook.com/OULibrary>   [twitter.png] <https://twitter.com/OU_Library>