[BlindRUG] RStudio for blind statistics students

Liz Hare doggene at earthlink.net
Thu May 12 22:25:07 UTC 2022

Hi Hannah,

Your findings are correct. RStudio can't be used with a screen reader. That GUI that comes with an R installation also doesn't work well, at least on a Mac.

Blind R users come up with other solutions like using the
https://code.visualstudio.com

I use the Emacs editor in the Mac Terminal with the Emacspeak screen reader.
https://code.visualstudio.com
The learning curve for Emacs and emacspeak is steep at first but if you are going to work with R a lot, it's worth it.

I'm sure other list members have other suggestions for solutions.

Please note that educational programs should not require or expect the use of RStudio in their materials since it is not for everyone.

Liz

Liz Hare, PhD
Dog Genetics LLC
doggene at earthlink.net