[BlindRUG] Resource: R & JAWS

Jonathan Godfrey A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sat Oct 21 21:30:33 UTC 2023

Hello,

I've had a quick look at your guide.

Can I suggest a few things. First, the guide is for running R with the GUI. This distinction is quite important for several reasons. Many folks assume they are running the R GUI when in fact they are using RStudio which includes an R prompt. Others use the terminal instead of the GUI. The only advantage we have to use the GUI is the ability to interact with scripts. In all other respects, the terminal and GUI are practically the same for beginners. The terminal needs to be launched with a new shortcut (not provided by default in the Windows installation) but there are no panes to manage once you're working.

Second, you've assumed people are  using a particular keyboard configuration for JAWS. As it happens I use both a laptop and a standard  desktop  keyboard (often plugged into the laptop). I'm so tuned into a particular way of working (muscle memory) that I would have to go and confirm that the caps lock key is actually a JAWS modifier (I assume it is).  I would hope a JAWS user who has made it to the point of using STEM software is well aware of how to route the JAWS cursor to PC cursor and vice versa. You might therefore move the keyboard shortcuts to a different section.

Finally, I suggest a warning about managing more than one screen of output be provided. I urge people to work in markdown, but I'm well aware some folks just don't see the advantages and are already dealing with a huge pile of new stuff. The trigger point for me is at about the point where the user must  fit a linear model.

My final request is that you include a few things that all beginners must deal with. Installing a package is much easier if we avoid the dialogue box for choosing a CRAN mirror. Installing and loading the BrailleR package will help get automatic descriptions of ggplot2-style graphs going.

Package management is something RStudio does really smoothly, so it must be something blind people find out how to do early on in their R journeys.

HTH,
Jonathan