[BlindRUG] High contrast themes for people with low vision

Marcus Low low.marcus at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 10:17:44 UTC 2023

Dear All

People who have some vision left might be interested in a package I’ve
started working on called HighContrast. Essentially, it is a few high
contrast themes that work with ggplot2. They are not the type of plots
you’d publish in a journal article, but some people with substantially
impaired vision might find them useful when doing data exploration.
Also, if you have any knowhow in this area, please consider
contributing to the package – i’m not an expert by any means and would
appreciate the help. The package is on GitHub at
https://github.com/marcuslowx/HighContrast

For people interested in trying it, I think the easiest way to install
it is using devtools:
install.packages(“devtools”)
library(devtools)
install_github(“marcuslowx/HighContrast”)
library(HighContrast)

That done you can simply add theme_HC() to the end of the code for a
ggplot2 plot and it should use the default black high contrast theme.
Other options for now are theme_HC_blue() and theme_HC_red().

Your welcome to contact me off list or via GitHub if you wish to engage further.

Thanks
Marcus

--
Spotlight Editor