[BlindRUG] High contrast themes for people with low vision

Jonathan Godfrey A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sun Sep 17 20:28:40 UTC 2023

Hello Marcus,

This is a great idea. I can't evaluate the themes for you sorry, but I can suggest a few things that will make keeping your package nice and tidy.

First, I like simple, single purpose packages. They're much easier to maintain etc. I wholly recommend keeping it simple and focused.

I'd like to suggest a few things that will help with the package and its repo management. I've taken advantage of the usethis package and the  packages book. https://r-pkgs.org/ a lot over the years. I don't follow every best practice they recommend but that is because I'm stuck with legacy content. I have used them to good effect in a few packages I keep for my teaching purposes.

I recommend a .gitignore file. I use this to keep my personal working files from getting exposed to the world. For example, I have batch files that do the commits (and ask for the commit message) and the push to GitHub. I don't' want them on GitHub because they are Windows specific.

You might track down the work done by Achim Zeileis and friends (among others) in colour palettes and combinations. Achim and I were on a keynote panel a couple of years ago and he was showing people how things look to people with specific colour-related impairments. I find the topic fascinating even if I can't engage with the results.

I hope you enjoy your package work as much as I do mine.

Good luck,
Jonathan