[BlindRUG] RStudio is now Posit - does this mean anything for us?

Jonathan Godfrey A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Mon Mar 4 19:38:04 UTC 2024

Hello Robin,

The change in organisational name is trivial with respect to the accessibility of the RStudio IDE.

Of greater note is the existence (or lack)  of human resource dedicated to positive improvements. I have to admit to not knowing how the staff reductions of 2023 have affected the programme of work that was making progress on accessibility. It has been over twelve months since I had an email from the accessibility guru and I therefore can't tell you if he is still with Posit.

I still have to keep RStudio on my radar for teaching purposes. The amount of explaining I must do about the IDE and the way it works gets less each year. I have students making use of the IDE in a variety of ways (cloud, virtual machines, and local installations) and on all operating systems (albeit a very small number using Linux). I cannot test all of these modes of operation for their accessibility.

I do believe however that the IDE will have a massive initial learning curve for screen reader users. The interaction model is much more difficult than say an email client, word processor, and perhaps notably, spreadsheet software. I continue to find that blind students finish high school with a poor understanding of spreadsheets. Given these are immediately explorable, the idea of working with a data sheet that is not so explorable, the idea of needing to create a formula, and generating extra panes with graphics or output, all make spreadsheets harder than other commonly used software.

In the end, part of my push for blind people to use R markdown is that they are relieved from the nonlinear multitude of windows/panes etc. I accept that they must hold an input and an output window open, but two windows that behave like individual apps should prove easier than managing an IDE.

All the best,
Jonathan