[Blindtlk] the Kurzweil NFB reader for full length books

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 10 21:42:30 UTC 2008

Hello Robert. I am a very happy user of the K-NFB reader, but I can't
imagine using it to read a full-length book. The two most popular desktop
applications which convert print into something a blind person can read
allow you to scan as fast as you can and also to read as you scan. The
processing time on a desktop machine is, of course, much less than what you
will find on either the PDA or the cell phone that we now use in the K-NFB
reader. I often tell people that, as much as I like the idea of having a
sports car, I wouldn't want to use it on moving day to transport my
furniture from one place to the other.

Like anything else, your own experience is probably the best teacher. Why
not try reading a book with the K-NFB reader and then getting one of your
friends to let you see what that same experience would be like using a
desktop machine and an OCR package that is blind friendly. Then you can
really make an informed decision.

Gary