[Blindtlk] (no subject)

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Fri Nov 21 18:21:12 UTC 2008

Darryn:

While I am not an expert on this stuff -- a little background may help.

There are two kinds of aid from "Social Security, SSI and SSDI.  The
first is supplemental Security Income and will, pay you a certain
amount if you are disabled and have no or little income.  It isn't
that much and with you making $15,000 I doubt you would qualify.

There is also SSDI, supplemental security disability insurance.  If
you have worked some, enough to get enough qualifying quarters of
work, then, if you stop work, or your income is below a certain
amount you can get SSDI payments.  They are higher then SSI.  As I
said I am not an expert, and you may need a year without work -- I
know that used to be the case.  You can also make some money SGA
substantial tgainful employment.  Below that amount, you qualify,
above it, you don't.  I don't know what it is currently, but I think
it is around what you said your income is.

Where do you live"?  Your local NFB chapter might be able to help
you, and might be good to know anyway for other reasons.

Dave