[Blindtlk] caller ID suggestions plz

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Wed Dec 2 21:39:55 UTC 2009

Heya!

Okay so I realize that caller ID has been around for some time and that I'm just a tad behind.  I decided to take the plunge and modernize a bit.  I have signed up with my phone company to get Caller ID service.  Now I need one of those spiffy talking caller ID thingymobobbers.    What do you all recommend?

I have your garden variety Wal-mart cordless phone with built in answering machine.  It does have a display screen for caller ID for the sighted family.  I think I want a talking caller ID unit that will work from phone to phone.  We tend to need to replace the phone every other year or so.  Can I get such a thing or are they all built into the phone?  What is a good brand?  Are there other features that I might need or want that you'd recommend? And finally who has the best prices?

I'm familiar with most of the major blindness product companies.  I really want to know what works well and what doesn't.  And probably most important is that I do not have a degree in rocket science or brain surgery, so easy installation is a must!

TIA
Julie