[Blindtlk] absolute pitch

lras lras at sprynet.com
Thu Dec 24 15:33:27 UTC 2009

We tend to get steered into music by others or by our own interest in sound.
I just think that exposure to singing and playing music identifies more
people who have absolute pitch.  My experience is that if you don't keep
your ears calibrated to sources of known pitch, your absolute pitch can
drift over the years.  And studies show that although most people have
relative pitch (know if a note is higher than another), about 5 percent of
the population is tone-deaf.
Lloyd Rasmussen, writing from a farmhouse in Illinois