[Blindtlk] absolute pitch

Don Mitchell donmi at comcast.net
Fri Dec 25 22:49:03 UTC 2009

According to research I have seen about 5 percent of the general population
in the united states have absolute pitch. In China, where pitch
differentiation is a part of the spoken language the percentage goes up to
48 percent. Working at the piano tuning school and being a musician I find
that the percentage of absolute pitch seems to be higher in blind people.
Based on what has been found among the Chinese I surmise that because we are
blind we listen more then sighted persons and because this is much more
significant for us to listen some develop this skill. I do know sighted
persons who have absolute pitch. I am not aware of studies on the subject so
my ideas are just observations and not necessarily the complete truth.

Don Mitchell