[Blindtlk] Schools for the Blind vs. Education in Public SchoolSystem

Don Mitchell donmi at comcast.net
Wed Jun 17 01:19:02 UTC 2009

Hello,

I began my education in kindergarten at the Oregon School for the Blind in
1954. I was only 4 years so was given no choice in the matter. My parents,
being who they were, I am sure felt that they had no ability to educate me
at home. My Mother was extremely protective of me.

If I had it to do over again I would not change my education at a
residential school. I don't think I would have had the support at home to
learn and overcome my bad attitudes and blinds.

If I could have changed the experience I would have made the school campus
both a school for the blind and a public school campus with students
intermingling.

Don Mitchell