[Blindtlk] a question of spacing

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Jun 19 21:45:22 UTC 2009

Ray,

Others more knowledgeable than I may comment on this, but I am some exposed to formats because I still use an Optacon.  It is very common now to see
paragraphs that are not indented at all.  In fact, I think it is fair to say that they are more often not indented at all.  One still sees them both ways, though.

If one used a Pica typewriter, spacing was 10 characters per inch.  That means that five spaces equates to a half an inch.  Typewriters were fixed width machines,
though, in that characters all have the same width.  This is true of some fonts, too, but most often we are using proportional fonts where characters have different
widths.  Spaces tend to be characters that take less space.  Therefore, the safest way to indent a half inch is to either set a tab to be one-half inch in, or in Word
you can define the first line of a paragraph to be indented without the need for you to do anything.

I have noticed that one space after the end of a sentence is getting more and more common, but to my knowledge, two spaces is still considered to be standard for
separating sentences.  I'd be curious what others think, though.

I think what happens sometimes is that we learn formatting not by observing but by memorizing, some of us in typing or keyboarding classes.  Unless we go out of
our way to observe, formatting styles can gradually change without our noticing.  We can determine that format changes, but it doesn't happen as automatically with
our screen reading technology as it does on a screen or on a printed page.  Also, braille formatting is more locked in than is print formatting.  Indenting a paragraph in
braille is more important because we don't waste the space by skipping a line between paragraphs so it is the only paragraph indicator we have.  Hopefully this
makes some sense.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson