[Blindtlk] a question of spacing

Ray Foret jr rforetjr at comcast.net
Fri Jun 19 21:20:37 UTC 2009

Okay.

Here's the observation.  I cannot help but notice that when I read an e-mail
from a sighted person, there is only one space following a sentence ending
period.  However, when I read most blind people's e-mails, (the ones I come
in to contact with anyhow) I cannot help but observe that there are two
spaces following a sentence ending period.  With some blind people's
e-mails, there is only one space following a sentence ending period.  Back
when I took typing in highschool, we were taught that when you end a
sentence with a period, you MUST space twice.  Also, paragraphs were to be
indented by spacing five times in from the left margin.  Nowadays, though,
it would appear that those rules are changed.  Are paragraphs still to be
indented five spaces in from the left margin?  And what about spacing after
sentence ending periods?  As for the five spaces, I rather suspect that this
was done so as to put the first letter of the first line of the paragraph
one half inch from the left margin; using pyka type.  With Microsoft word,
the number of spaces needed to put the insertion point one half inch from
the left margin appears to be twelve.  Thoughts?  Am I missing something
somewhere?

Sincerely,
The Constantly BAREFOOTED Ray

"Old friend, what are you looking for?  After those many years abroad you
come With images you tended Under foreign skies Far away from your own land"
George Seferis

Phone or Fax::
+1 (985) 360-3614
Cell: