[Blindtlk] Greetings;Behaviors in adults blind

Gerardo Corripio gera1027 at prodigy.net.mx
Sat May 23 03:35:26 UTC 2009

Hi listers:
I'm Gerardo from Mexico; 31 years old and a Psychologist working on my own
in my private practice.
Hopefully I'll be able to learn lots of great things from you guys,
especially of the NFB way of viewing and living with blindness.
Now for my debut question: I've been blind all my life due to RP; since I
was a teenager I remember developing a habbit of touching the arm of the
people constanly to be sure he/she was still there. I continued to do this
into adulthood until my family made the observation that this behavior isn't
seen well by the sighted only a few days ago. I'm still shocked by this
observation to the point that now how to know if the person is still there?
Yes, the voice gives feedback but when people talk it feels as if they're
there but aren't there. How have you coped with this situation in that you
have to get rid of the habbit before-mentioned? Surely it has happened to
some of you?
also when shaking hands with sighted people how to find the hand to shake if
the sighted person doesn't take the initiative?
As you can see I've still have lots of tips and tricks to learn about
blindness, thus my interest in joining the list.
Gerardo