[Blindtlk] Greetings;Behaviors in adults blind

Cindy Handel cindy425 at verizon.net
Sat May 23 13:54:51 UTC 2009

Gerardo,

Most of the time, when I would like to shake the hand of a sighted person, I
just extend my hand and they grasp it and we shake hands.

As far as touching the arm of people, I've never done this.  When do you do
this?  If you're talking with someone, it shouldn't be necessary, since
they're participating in the conversation.  I think we've all experienced a
time when we're talking to someone and learn that they walked away.  Now, if
you're referring to touching a person's arm to make sure they're still there
as a way to insure that you still have their attention, that's something
different.  I have met sighted people who talk with their hands and touch my
arm or shoulder, for emphasis.  So, that might not be so unusual.

Cindy