[Blindtlk] Greetings; Behaviors in adults blind

Weingartner, Paul PWeingartner at ag.org
Tue May 26 14:01:44 UTC 2009

 This is an interesting topic that is very helpful because of the
candidness of the respondents.  Because of that I would like to ask a
question.
Sighted people use eye contact to initiate communication.  Obviously,
that does not work for initiating communication with a person who is
blind.  That is why it is awkward for a waitress in a restaurant or for
a stranger in a mall to make first contact in a way to know the speaker
is addressing the person who is blind.
A number of totally blind friends recommend a light quick touch to let
them know they are the person being addressed, so that is what I
recommend.  I was wondering what some or you think.
Also, many people who are totally blind like to hold and cling during a
conversation.  That can get pretty awkward and down right embarrassing a
times.
I would appreciate your thoughts.

Paul Weingartner
Making the Cross Accessible
Center for the Blind of the Assemblies of God
P 417.831.1964   F 417.862.5120
www.blind.ag.org
www.blindonline.ag.org