[Blindtlk] assumtions at the workplace

Robert J Smith rsmith247 at csc.com
Fri May 29 12:07:40 UTC 2009

Speaking about assumptions made about us when we're walking -- one day I
had two in one day.  In the morning, when i was approaching the
badge-driven entrance gate at the plant where I work, someone asked me if
I was looking for my dad.  I was in my early fifties at that time.  I
calmly replied "no, I work here" as I moved the badge through the reading
slot and the gate let me in.

Then, at the tail end of the day, I was starting to go down the big main
hallway which goes all the way across the building and then out.  I
realized that I forgot something at my desk and abruptly turned around and
started walking back the other way to go back to the desk.  I take quick,
confident steps when I get to know a route.  However, someone who saw me
do the quick turnaround said "It must be bad not knowing where you are all
the time."  I said in an irritated, clipped voice "I forgot something at
my desk."  I actually felt like saying "I know where the HELL!!! I am, I
forgot something at my desk just as you could".  Getting hit with it twice
in one day added up for me and workwise, I didn't have that great a day
anyway.  Fortunately this doesn't happen often!

Then another time a number of years ago, somebody told me on the way in
that he couldn't imagine anything worse than being blind.  I would have
tollerated it but the way he said it was particularly condesending so I
said "I don't know, being parilized from the neck down ought to be pretty
good".  He then actually replied "Well, I could still watch TV.  I gave up
with him at that point.  I wanted to say "Oh, wow, how long would that
have lasted for you before you started going insane with bordom -- maybe
two weeks?"

Bob Smith

delivery.
purpose.