[Blindtlk] assumtions at the workplace

Sarah Baughn sarahb006 at comcast.net
Fri May 29 18:29:13 UTC 2009

Bob, I went to bingo last Saturday, and as I was sitting there talking to my
boyfriend on the phone, I was approached by this lady who had talked to me a
couple of times before, and she said to me:  "I am legally blind.  Isn't
that the pits?".  I tried not to let my irritation show as I told her, I
think pretty politely given my irritated state, that no, it wasn't the pits,
it was only the pits if I made it the pits, which I choose not to, so it's
not.  Life is what you make of it.  I told her that if she made her life as
a legally blind person the pits, then yes, it would be the pits.  I then
proceeded to tell her of the many things that she could do independently,
and tried to convince her that she needed to go through training to learn to
live as a blind person, and she needed to learnto read Braille, but, for
whatever reason, she walked away about five minutes later, unconvinced.
Sarah