[Blindtlk] "Mike-ing History"

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Nov 8 22:03:13 UTC 2009

Yes, they were pretty neat. The one on the San Francisco Fire and
Earthquake had a minor inaccuracy -- the "man at the mike" said the
quake occurred at 5:15 a.m. (that was what the clock said on the Ferry
Building) whereas it occurred at either 5:12 or 5:13 depending upon
which authoritative source one believes (the Ferry Building clock was
fast in any case) -- but that matters little in the larger context. For
those of us who grew up at least in part in the radio era, these
recordings imparted an immediacy to the events portrayed that isn't
always present nowadays.

Incidentally, if anyone has a video of the 1955 CBS-TV "You Are There"
depicting the Great Chicago Fire of October 8, 1871, I'd love to get a
copy also.

Mike Freeman