[Blindtlk] Audiobooks & Book Clubs

Mary Burkey mary.burkey at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 17:41:56 UTC 2009

Audiobooks & Book Clubs: not really reading or perfect partners? Curious
minds want to know! I’m collecting information for an upcoming article in
Booklist Magazine on the role of audiobooks in book clubs. As an audiobook
blogger & columnist, I’ve received lots of requests from librarians and
teachers interested in book clubs that welcome audiobook listeners with open
arms, as well as questioning whether listeners face disdain from book club
members who think audiobooks are cheating. Do you have experience with an
audiobooks-only club? Have stories to tell about book club members who are
dedicated listeners, but would never have participated in a
printed-book-only club? How do you include critical discussion about
audiobooks in your meetings? Are there members of your club who are vision
impaired?  Are there clubs out there for the blind? Have you hosted a
listening club for children or teens? Any tips or promotional success
stories for integrating audiobooks in your book club? I’d love to hear your
stories – both good and bad – about how listening to literature unites or
divides the members of your clubs. Please send any anecdotes to
mary.burkey at gmail.com along with a note granting or declining the use of
your club’s name in the feature. Can’t wait to learn how creative clubs are
adding listening into the literary discussion!

Mary Burkey
mary.burkey at gmail.com
http://audiobooker.booklistonline.com
Contact Me Facebook