[Blindtlk] Has anyone ever had this happen?

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 16:06:39 UTC 2010

You would be surprised how many post office workers have no clue about
Free Matter for the Blind. When I went to the post office, I asked
them if they had any pre-printed Free matter for the Blind stickers
for sale or even a stamp (I can't see print, let alone write it
legibly). All the people I talked to had no clue what "Free matter for
the Blind" even was! They said, "I don't think there is such a thing."
I was like, umm...yea...sure....I went online, printed up the same FAQ
that you probably did, and gave it to them. I also looked on APH and
ordered some Free Matter pre-printed labels for my use with my
penpals. I have not had anything returned yet, but I also make sure
that it follows the rules, as some people do not.

I am sure the cartridges from NLS, even sent from another blind
person, can be sent Free Matter. I know that Braille, cassettes, and
large print (typed, over twelve point) can be sent. Nothing can be
sent Free Matter for the Blind that has *any* handwritten notes, typed
messages under 12 point, or other non-eligible items, such as a check,
money order, CD, or anything else like that. I found that out when a
friend's aunt wanted to send him a check with her Braille letter. It
was returned to her for postage because of the check, even though the
letter was Braille.

I hope the post office in your area doesn't give you anymore trouble
about legitimate Free Matter mail. Just make sure you inform anyone
you know not to take advantage of it for sending non-eligible items,
as this will give the post office reason to reconsider the removal of
the "Free Matter for the Blind" option, which would be a big problem
for the libraries for the blind, the NFB Braille flea market,
organizations that send out Braille and cassette magazines and
newsletters, and many other organizations. Please be sure to use it
correctly, so we don't lose it!

~Jewel