[Blindtlk] The Cost of Independent Travel

Brian Miller brian-r-miller at uiowa.edu
Sat Aug 28 13:08:30 UTC 2010

These are some great thoughts, Mike, and I would assert that we could say
the same thing about the car as we do about other techologies  that make
electronics accessible; we don't need to throw money at it, we could put our
voices toward the encouragement, perhaps even the insistance, that auto
manufacturers, universities, NITSA, Dept of Transportation, whatever, for
the development of cars that drive themselves.

I think the solution is a car that drives itself, as this will potentially
benefit everyone -- safety, ease of use, management of traffic, reduction of
energy costs through more controlled speeds, and so on.  Plus this is a
technology that is much more feasible, and within reach.

My personal belief is that the notion of the car that transports one
individual from point a to point b is a doomed endeavor and a rediculously
expensive and excessive use of natural resources, but that's just my own
long run perspective -- and in the long run, we're all dead, right?
*smile*.

Cheers,

Brian