[Blindtlk] Question Regarding Guide Dogs

Aaron Allen aaron.allen at comcast.net
Mon Feb 8 01:59:25 UTC 2010

Hello!

I'm not a guide dog user, however I do know that most married blind couples
each have their own dog.  I think it would be very hard to walk wile sharing
a dog.  Most guide dogs are trained to walk on either the left or right side
of their owner.  The dog in your example would either need to walk very far
to the left or right or walk in the middle (between the two people).

Regarding your second question about allergies.  I think (but are not sure)
you can get a poodle as a guide dog.  Poodles don't shed and are great for
those with allergies.  Poodles range from sizes of miniature (not recommend
for guide dog) to royal (large).  They are very intelligent and are often
used for service animals by other people with disabilities.

Hope this helps!

Aaron Allen