[Blindtlk] Living in the suburbs as a visually impaired mom withkids?

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 20:25:54 UTC 2010

Mari,

If this is a great area for you and your children to grow up, then it is
worth looking at. I lived in a similar situation with my first hubby. We
lived very far out from the city, not close to any shopping. My kids were
small at that point too. What I did was this. If you have children in
elementary school, get to know the other mothers in the school. Say to them,
if you could help with shopping, I could do babysitting for you. Become
friends with them, trade things for the transportation. Parents sighted or
blind do this all the time. If one of them is going to the store, and you
need a gallon of milk, ask them to pick up for you. There are a lot of ways
tow ork around this. Get involved in a church. In play groups in the hood.
When you make friends, it won't be so hard to ask people for help. And if
you have something to offer back, then it will make it even. If you are
worried about crossing that streat, go in front of the city council, and ask
for a cross walk. If the schools are on the other side of the street from
the houses, all those children have to cross some place. So there might be a
crossing guard during school hours. If you can get a cross walk, then it
will be easier to cross the busy street. You have a lot of options. I know
public transportation limits us to cities, but burbs are much safer and
nicer to live in, and many of us want that option.

Hope that helps,
marsha