[Blindtlk] Inferiority complex with disability vsnondisabledsociety

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Thu Jun 3 12:02:21 UTC 2010

I  do get it that there is no one in your exact situation.   You had a lot
of philosophical questions, I tried to answer some of them from my
experience and what I believe to be true.  I haven't gone through what you
have, no idea if anyone on this list has, but please don't discount my
experiences because they aren't the same as yours.

Yes, I did have a hard time with figuring out how to get on with things when
my vision went south.  Yes, it was hard.  Yes I was angry, frustrated and
even depressed for a short bit.  But I worked through a rehabilitation
program, went to college, practiced the new skills and got on with my life.
It wasn't easy, but I didn't see a lot of other choices.

*than this bs nfb approach of go and do it yourself. I bet that 9 out
of ten times you all at one time in your life have had people aid you*
Yes, absolutely.  I don't think I would be where I am now without other
blind people to encourage me and help me to figure things out.  It's exactly
why I suggested some good adjustment training and some blind people as
mentors.  I don't know if it's possible to have the same support through an
email list.

I'm not sure what sort of information you are wanting.  I thought you were
asking about world view sorts of things, so I was talking about the big
picture from the perspective of my own experience.  If you have specific
questions, please ask.

Julie