[Blindtlk] Inferiority complex withdisabilityvsnondisabledsociety

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Jun 7 02:03:37 UTC 2010

Hi, Mary.

I can certainly empathize. It's a bit of a pain without a crosswalk.
Nevertheless, where there's a will, there's a way. Put another way, if
sighted pedestrians cross more-or-less safely, so can you. I realize that
isn't necessarily comforting -- no one wishes to risk life and limb -- but
with practice and, admittedly, a bit of chutzpah, most intersections -- even
tough ones -- can be tackled. It may take some work with a O&M person from
the Texas Commission for the Blind but I'd bet they'd do it.

That's not to say a crosswalk wouldn't be nice. But it would be nice for
*everyone,* not just you. (smile)

I know some will take what I've just said as meaning that I either have
superior training, don't care or both. Both statements would be false. I'm a
decent cane traveler but there are many who are better than am I. But
practice and a proper mixture of boldness, courage and cautiousness
generally will get almost any blind person through almost any
intersection -- that and lots of practice.

For many years, I had to cross a four-lane freeway at the bottom of a long
hill where the cars picked up speed and were loath to stop at the crosswalk;
in fact, there was no pedestrian signal -- just one activated by traffic
from the side road I needed to walk up once I'd crossed the street. Although
I didn't like it, I got fairly used to waiting for a relatively quiet
interval and then crossing one lane at a time, holding up a llane of traffic
by boldly stepping out.

Eventually, thank goodness, a push-button signal was installed so
pedestrians had equal rights with the cars. But I made it clear I wouldn't
use it if an audible sigbnal were installed; it was not.

Incidentally, I am not opposed to audible signals if they beep once and then
shut up. But signals that blather on, obscuring other sound are an
abomination.

Anyway, there may be no easy fix but with determination, I suspect that you
and we together can find a way.

Will you be at the national convention?

Mike