[Blindtlk] Inferiority complex with Disabilities

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Jun 10 15:09:37 UTC 2010

Jessica:

I think one reason more of us do not discuss where we struggle and how we do
things is that we have absorbed and internalized the NFB philosophy to the
extent that we really don't think what we do is out-of-the-ordinary and
therefore don't pay much attention to it and describe it publicly. Moreover,
if we truly have internalized NFB philosophy, I suspect there's a bias
against general informing or, nay, bragging because by saying "Whoopy-do!
Look what I'm doing!", we negate the very thing we're trying to espouse in
that we are, in effect, saying, isn't it a miracle that I can do X! I don't
think there is much reluctance (this thread is an example) to discuss how we
do a specific thing, assuming we even notice. And as for things we struggle
with, I can't speak for everyone but, frankly, I don't think about them
much. Why? Because I have either found ways around the difficulties or have
just chalked it up to my lack of capacity in some area rather than bemoaning
my lack in terms of sight loss. In other words, I put the inconveniences of
blindness on a similar footing to not being tall, being unable to knit or
not being twenty anymore (not that this is always a handicap -- I have a lot
more money than I did when I was twenty!). Please reread Dr. Jernigan's
essay: "Blindness: Handicap or Characteristic".

Besides, who wants to listen to a complainer? If I say: "O ain't it awful!"
what have I accomplished? I know the saying goes that misery loves company
but usually said company is rather short-lived. Besides, don't you believe
that sighted persons have lacks and losses and wish that they could do
things they can't? If that's so, they aren't human.

The bottom line is that some of us are attempting to live the Federation
mantra that blindness is a characteristic like any other and we at least try
to not put the nuisance of blindness on a pedestal.

Now a word to Mary: you say that you are a burden to your husband and
others. Have you asked them? And if they said "yes", did you ask them
whether there were other aspects of you that so stood out that they are your
friends or married you (in the case of your husband) anyway? And don't you
think that there are aspects to *any* spousal relationship that irritate the
heck out of the other partner? Again, any relationship that doesn't at least
occasionally exhibit this characteristic isn't human.

I know right now you are feeling the lack of easily-obtainable
transportation acutely. I sympathize. But how is this different from, say, a
person of modest means who works in, say,     Los Angeles, and must buy a
house over two hours away by automobile because he/she can't afford the real
estate prices in L.A. proper? To my mind, there is no difference unless you
choose to put blindness up on a special pedestal as I wrote about above,
saying, in effect: "Were I not blind, all would be sweetness and light and
all my difficulties would melt away". If you think about this objectively,
however, you will have to admit that you don't really *know* this as you are
positing a condition that is not real and if you can change one thing in
your imagination, nothing else is off the table for change, either, so while
you might be less of a "burden" viz a viz transportation as a sighted
person, how do you know that something *else* might have changed in your
rearrangement of life that would also be adverse to what you consider your
well-being?

So sit back, fix what you can and enjoy the ride of life!

Mike Freeman, President
NFB of Washington